Subject: Re: control-alt-delete?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 14:01:57
In message <200101051844.f05Iife25264@guild.plethora.net>, Peter Seebach writes
:
>In message <20010105194541.A6499@antioche.lip6.fr>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>>> Yes.  I expected the console-abort-hook that is very useful to have
>
>>Haaaa, you mean ctrl-alt-esc then !
>
>I'm not convinced that there's a substantial advantage to selecting a
>different hook than everyone else uses.  ;)

Well, there is one advantage:  when I'm running vmware, I need to use
that sequence to log in to guest Win2000 machines.  (Btw -- on Win2000,
the three-fingered salute is the "trusted path" -- something that's
guaranteed to get you to the real OS, as opposed to, say, some program
that is emulating login on a tty line.  Trusted path is a very useful
concept, though it requires careful thought and engineering to be
usable.)

Of course, I have used it, successfully, from my BSD/OS laptop speaking
X to a linux/vmware system.  Now I just have to figure out why that
didn't reboot...

		--Steve Bellovin