Subject: Re: control-alt-delete?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 12:47:06
In message <20010105104542.G429@dr-evil.shagadelic.org>, Jason R Thorpe writes:
> > is functional enough to process keyboard interrupts, but not functional eno
>ugh
> > to, say, let me kill the process that currently has my console window tied
> > up, or let me log in on another console.

>You didn't originally say "process keyboard interrupts" ... you said
>"sync disks".  If scheduling is borked, how can you sync the disks?

Dunno, but when this used to work, and when I do it now on BSD/OS, it appeared
to try to sync disks.

BSD/OS's response to ctl-alt-del is to print "console abort? (y/n)" on the
console.  If you say "y", it says "sync disks? (y/n)".  If you say yes, it
somehow causes disks to be sync'd, then reboots.

You know the part of a reboot where the system says "syncing disks... " and
counts down?  It turns out that a hook for "jump straight there" is
occasionally quite handy.

The last time I wanted it, the available shell was tied up with a tip that
was wedged, and ignoring any interrupt one could type.  You could still type
things like ctl-alt-del, they just didn't *do* anything.  If they'd done
something, I could have made it sync disks.

-s