Subject: Re: control-alt-delete?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 13:21:39
<seebs@plethora.net> (Peter Seebach) writes:

> >> Is there a reason that several of my current NetBSD systems seem to think
> >> that control-alt-delete is just a weird key sequence?
> >
> >Well, that's what it is.
> >
> >Did you expect something else?
>
> Yes.  I expected the console-abort-hook that is very useful to have
> occasionally, when a system is in a state where I'd like to at least *hint*
> that it sync disks before I hit the Big Red Button.

Well, you need to define:

1) what you think it ought to do, exactly (hook into userland to run
   a program, such as "shutdown -r now"? make the kernel run
   sys_sync()? something else?)

2) who it would be useful to, and when (systems that are *really*
   wedged? Or just ones with a wedged console that don't have
   convenient remote login capability?)

3) what mechanisim would control whether it is enabled (since it's
   clear that even if such an option were avaliable, it would not be
   appropriate for all sites).

> Console abort is *useful*.  It should be available by default, IMHO.

Making it avaliable by default would constitute a large deviation from
the behavior of prior versions of NetBSD. It's a deviation that I
suspect anyone other than single-owner single-user desktop machines
would find at least unwelcome, and at most a serious security problem.

        - Nathan