Subject: Re: control-alt-delete?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 13:24:34
On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 12:15:04PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> But in practice, it *is*.  There is a broad range of states where the OS
> is functional enough to process keyboard interrupts, but not functional enough
> to, say, let me kill the process that currently has my console window tied
> up, or let me log in on another console.
>
> It doesn't have to be useful very often to be worth having available.

So, perhaps it would be useful, but is this really a good idea?

What would this console interrupt do, immediately drop you into
single user mode? (Please, no.)

Just halt what was presently going on? (That's a pretty nebulous
concept...)

Give one access to another tty? (If handling ttys is what's wedging
the kernel, that's not wonderfully useful...)

How is it drastically different from flipping the power switch?

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net