Subject: Re: Thoughts on a possible new BSD system appriciated.
To: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 12:51:11
From: "Bill Squier" <groo@old-ones.com>:

> IMPORTANT:  Update your BIOS to at least WZ beta 01 (CAREFUL with
revision
> WW!!)  I have a 256MB DIMM which intermittently locked up the system
until
> I installed WZ.  (Somewhere previous to WZ they fixed a problem with
certain
> 256MB modules).

Wasn't this fixed in WW?  According to the release notes for WZ_01:
0.Based on KT7_WW.BIN
1.Fixes wrongful register setting of "Bank x/y Dram Timing"
  for normal/medium/fast/turbo with CL=2 setting.
2.Fixes wrongful register setting of "Bank x/y Dram Timing"
  for normal/medium/fast/turbo with 133FSB Athlon CPU. For
  KT7A and KT7A-RAID only.
3.Adds an option to disable fan1 error check and changes the
  default setting to disable.

Sounds like the fan1 feature wasn't too popular. :)

-Andrew

PS.  I'm running a KT7-RAID with a Duron 600 (@950), 2 x 128MB DIMMs,
     a Maxtor 40GB, and a Diamond TNT2 Ultra.  _very nice_ system. :)
     (though I plan on buying a thunderbird >= 1Ghz if the duron dies)

PPS. NetBSD is great on this box, Manuel just checked in UltraDMA 100
     support for the HPT370, so the only nits are UltraDMA 33 only on
     the VIA pciide (they support 66), and NO DAMN DRI for my Nvidia.