Subject: Re: UltraDMA performance.
To: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 11:36:14
On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 06:54:33PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> With Quantum Fireball, it failed with infamous "lost interrupt" error and
> downgraded UDMA mode from 2 to 1 during kernel pciide initialization. With
> an Maxtor drive, it got even worse; it never displayed error messages,
> and whenever I tried to compile something I got number of "unknown
> opcode(?)" errors.

The data read from disk were bad ?

> I have more question with my A7V: why does pciide driver set UDMA mode to
> 2 for my drive which is capable of UDMA mode 4? Connected to Promise

because pciide doesn't know (yet) that this board can do Ultra/66.
The problem is that via uses the same vendor/device ID and revision for
both the Ultra/33 and Ultra/66 controllers. We need some trick to detect
a Ultra/66 capable one.

But your controller seems to be something different again (rev 0x10 instead
of 0x6), I'll have to look at this.