Subject: Re: UltraDMA performance.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 18:54:33
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > In addition, it seems that VT82C686B (Ultra/100) based MSI K7T Pro2-A board
> > isn't compatible with existing IDE driver. I bought it first but it didn't
> > worked properly, so I've replaced it with current VT82C686A based A7V.
>
> How does it fail ?
> I'll have to look at the VT82C686B data sheet ...

With Quantum Fireball, it failed with infamous "lost interrupt" error and
downgraded UDMA mode from 2 to 1 during kernel pciide initialization. With
an Maxtor drive, it got even worse; it never displayed error messages,
and whenever I tried to compile something I got number of "unknown
opcode(?)" errors.

I have more question with my A7V: why does pciide driver set UDMA mode to
2 for my drive which is capable of UDMA mode 4? Connected to Promise
Ultra/100 interface, it is always working in mode 4. Obviously that's not
the problem of a bad cable.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>