Subject: Re: How do you change virtual screens with the wscons driver?
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2001 22:21:38

  rr> On _my_ system, under X, I can mix and match left/right for
  rr> control & alt.  The virtual console switch still works.

  rr> But, when I'm on a text console, instead of an X display, ONLY
  rr> the left keys work.

X is actually intercepting those keystrokes itself; it does it
using the modifier map, not the raw keysyms, so it's looking
for Control-Mod1-<Fn> to switch.  The console driver, OTOH, is
looking for Control_L-Alt_L-<Fn>.  If you do 'xmodmap' you'll
probably find 'control' bound to Control_L *and* Control_R,
and so on.

On my machine, Mod1 isn't mapped to Alt_L in X, which makes
this quite confusing for the uninitiated. :-)

  rr> (Under LINUX, I think, I always have to use the left keys,
  rr> whether I'm using X or a text console.  Though, I didn't think
  rr> to see if it acted differently under X than under a text console
  rr> in LINUX.)

Also, Linux will accept Alt-<Fn> [from consoles only;
doesn't work in X] and Alt-[Left|Right] to page through the
virtual consoles one at a time.

I suspect the gotcha that you can't use just Alt-<Fn> like
Linux (and FreeBSD IIRC??) catches several new NetBSD
converts out.  [Perhaps we should allow Alt-<Fn>, too?]

Mark <><