Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2001 13:44:48
Frederick Bruckman:

>> What if, for example, somebody packages DRI for NetBSD? This requires
>> XFree86 4.0 or greater. If somebody is building packages against the
>> current release (which ships with XFree86 3.3.6), the package will not
>> build.
>>
> DRI _is_ XFree86-4.x. (It's like the -current version of the Xserver
 [...]

My understanding is that DRI stands for ``Direct Rendering Interface'' (or
Infrastructure?).  It is an enhancement for Mesa support to directly
access the hardware to accelerate the OpenGL implementation.  It is not
``-current for XFree86''; it is a specific feature that was present in 4.0
(for GNU/LINUX), and is apparently now supported on FreeBSD.

Is my understanding on this point wrong?  Or are you saying that DRI works
on NetBSD, now?  My understanding is that it does not.  But we can
certainly use XFree86 4.x with NetBSD, without this one feature.

I'd love to hear that 4.0.2 with NetBSD 1.5 (even if only -current) is a
different story, w.r.t. DRI, than 4.0 was for NetBSD.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu