Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD installon Dell Laptop?)
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2001 14:02:09
In message <200101041834.f04IYTZ16387@arresum.veego.de>, Bernd Ernesti writes:
>On Thu Jan  4 18:18:12 2001, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>[..]
>> So -- with 4.0, precisely how do I configure X?
>>
>> I installed 1.5 from a Wasabi CD, on top of an existing NetBSD 1.4Z
>> system on which I'd never run X.  I tried 'X -configure'; it generated
>> something, though it told me that it couldn't find my mouse.  I
>> hand-edited the file to specify the wsmouse driver and /dev/wsmouse as
>> the device.  I then fired up X, specifying that file.  The screen
>> flashed, and the X server exited.  I now see *nothing* on my screen,
>> probably because the VGA interface is hosed.  (Switching to different
>> consoles via cntl-alt-F? doesn't help, though ps does show login
>> attempts taking place.)
>
>The black screen is not really black, increase the bright and contrast
>and you maybe see something.
>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>> 	Identifier  "Mouse0"
>> 	Driver      "wsmouse"
>> 	Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>> 	Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
>> EndSection
>
>Thats wrong, use this:
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>	Identifier  "Mouse0"
>	Driver      "mouse"
>	Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"
>	Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
>EndSection

Thanks; that helps somewhat, in that it does fire up X (albeit at
640x480).  However, when I exit X the screen is really blank; it's not
the brightness or the contrast -- I checked.  (I do have dim
recollections that exiting X was problematic on that machine even when
I was running BSD/OS.)

But -- is there a man page for the new config file?  Trying
'man XF86Config' gets me a 3.3.5 version.

		--Steve Bellovin