Subject: Re: Problems installing 1.5 on a Compaq Armada 7400
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2001 12:14:21
On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >Even assuming that the GENERIC kernel allows me to see the hard drive
> >there still exists the problem that without cardbus support, the only
> >operational I/O devices I have are floppy drive and the serial ports.
> >I can't recompile a new kernel until I get a fairly hefty NetBSD
> >installation onto this system.  I can't do NetBSD install using only
> >floppies (or more correctly, I won't do it using only floppies).
> >
> >Still, I'll see if the disk shows up when booting with boot[12].fs.
>
> 	GENERIC_LAPTOP has all PCIBIOS options turned on, and i'm guessing
> 	it is one of the reasons.  or... you may want to make a pciide-less
> 	GENERIC on some other machine.

I managed to get an installation CD-ROM burned from the i386 ISO image.
Booting with it got me to the point of being able to do a base install of
1.5.  Still no networking support until I get the source burned onto
another CD-ROM and then recompile the kernel.

I don't have the option of compiling a kernel on another system as my
other NetBSD systems are VAXes and a Sparc IPC.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----