Subject: Re: Using GRUB bootloader question
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com, allen@doobie.itdl.ds.boeing.com,>
From: Steve Allen <allen@doobie.itdl.ds.boeing.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2001 08:38:06
OK, I'm at work, tried setting up the system with the NetBSD bootloader,
and failed miserably.  Here's what I found:

- There does not appear to be any way to tell it that I want to load Linux
  out of logical partition 5.  Thus, it won't boot Linux.

- Win2K does boot, but except for the initial "loading" graphic, the screen
  is so small and scrunched into the upper left corner that it is unusable.

And worst of all...
- It wouldn't boot NetBSD!  I pressed the key for NetBSD (F3), and nothing
  at all happened -- totally frozen system (same as for Linux, F2).  (I don't
  know if it has anything to do with the problem, but each partition is 5GB,
  with the NetBSD partition sitting at the 10GB spot.)

I don't have Solaris yet, so was unable to test it.

So, I'm back to using GRUB, which is kind of unfortunate, really.  Most all
the PCs here are Win2K, with a smattering of Linux boxes, and I wanted to get
some NetBSD presence.  I'll try to see if there's a way I can get GRUB to boot
NetBSD properly.

On that front, I see two possibilities: One is to embed a NetBSD loader in
the NetBSD partition and chainload it.  Can this embedding be done?  Second
is to get GRUB to pass the proper info to NetBSD.  Is there some documentation
that describes how this happens?

Thanks,
~Steve

On Jan 3,  5:10pm, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 05:04:27PM -0800, Space Case wrote:
> > Alternatively (I'm not totally against the NetBSD boot selector), how
> > would I set up the NetBSD bootselector to handle the other OSes?  Keep
> > in mind that Linux resides within a pair of logical partitions inside
> > a DOS extended partition, and (with GRUB, at least) Win2K needs to be
> > chainloaded.  Here's what GRUB says about my partitions:
>
>It's pretty simple -- fdisk -B ... You'll be able to configure the
>of each partition which contains a secondary bootloader ("chain", in
>GRUB terms).
>
>The NetBSD boot selector is in the first 512 byte portion of the disk,
>and, depending on configuration/user input, selects a loader from one
>of the 4 MBR partitions on the disk.
>
>--
>        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>

}-- End of excerpt from Jason R Thorpe