Subject: Re: Problems installing 1.5 on a Compaq Armada 7400
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2001 08:55:27
>I've just tried installing NetBSD/i386 1.5 on my Compaq Armada 7400 using
>the laptop install, and didn't go so well.  The kernel fails to detect the
>laptop's hard drive (currently it's home to a Windows 98 install).  Just
>wondering if anyone else has encountered something similar.
>
>The dmesg output includes the following "pciide0: device disabled (at device)"
>which seems like it might be a bad thing.  Here's the full dmesg output I
>get from the install kernel:

	could you boot with GENERIC kernel (boot[12].fs)?
	if so, you can take the following steps:
	- boot from boot[12].fs.  cardbus is not available.
	  copy GENERIC kernel from kern.tgz into hard drive (/netbsd).
	- reboot from hard drive.  cardbus is still not available.
	- recompile a new kernel, which is basically GENERIC + cardbus.

itojun