Subject: Partitioning Scheme help...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Bogart <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 16:59:46
Hello all,
I'm just about to buy a new machine with a 20GB HDD and I need to decide
how I am going to partition it. I want to run the following operating
systems, in order of use:

1. Netbsd 1.5 (with linux emulation)
2. Nt4
3. "real" linux distribution

The main question is concerning linux and emulation. I do run Linux
binaries on another netbsd machine and so I had to install a package which
was a dummy linux system mounted as a shadow root. So the linux binaries
are run using libraries and config files that are in the linux root. Is it
possible for me to install a full linux distribution on one partition,
mount that root as a shadow root in netbsd so I am able to run binaries
from that linux system.

So if I install a linux distribution on another partition can I mount it
as a shadow root and run binaries off it that will still use the linux
libraries and not the netbsd ones?

The reason for this is that I would prefer to run Netbsd but might need
linux apps to run, so if they don't work emulated (because of kernel
calls) then I can always boot that partition and all linux binaries will
work.

Here is what I have come up with for my scheme so far:

2GB for NetBSD
swap:	256
root:	150
usr:	1594

17GB for NT4 (least used OS with most used filesystem, NTFS4)
c:	500
d:	12000

1GB for possible Linux distribution.

I would appriciate any suggestions anyone would have.

Why does NetBSD use SUSE as the Linux emulation environement?
(As apposed to one of the other linux flavors)

Thanks!

Ben

B. Bogart
Convergent Media Designer
Through scientific absolution we move further and further away from ourselves.