Subject: Re: How do you change virtual screens with the wscons driver?
To: None <dcarmich@xnet.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 11:47:35
In message <20010103133441.A24389@typhoon.xnet.com>Douglas Carmichael writes
>Sorry for being a newbie (I originally used FreeBSD and Linux before
>NetBSD), but how do you change from virtual screen to virtual screen with
>the wscons driver?

Ctrl-alt-F<n> for the n'th "virtual console" just like Linux.
The console device is named /dev/ttyE<n-1>.

However, you have to expliclity enable wscons devices other than the
console, and start a getty on each of the /dev/ttyE<n> devices. Add
	wscons=YES

to /etc/rc.conf, and for the ttyE[1-3] entries in /etc/ttys, change
the fourth column from "off" to "on". (i think that's right, its been
a while).

Note that NetBSd ususally has four text "virtual consoles", not six;
if you start an X server, chord ctrl-alt-F5 to switch to it, not
ctrl-alt-F7.