Subject: Re: USB-to-serial converters? (was: Re: USB printer cable
To: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 19:50:23
Johan Ihren wrote:

> Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net> writes:
>
> > John Kohl wrote:
> >
> > > Do just about all USB-to-parallel printer cables work with our USB code?
> > > If not, can you recommend a known working brand?
> >
> > All I've tried (4 or 5) have worked.
>
> What about USB-to-serial cables/dongles?

There the situation is much worse.  There's no standard for USB-to-serial
(Microsoft vetoed it).  NetBSD currently only supports dongles with the FTDI
chip.  But if you can get the specs for the chip in a dongle writing a driver is
not that hard (it's getting the specs that is hard; some chip vendors refuse
to give the out).

--

        -- Lennart