Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 08:07:59
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> On Wed Jan  3 06:44:00 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > which are otherwise provided by pkgsrc. So if you pkg_delete -r "xpm"
> > and "Mesa" first, everything should work flawlessly.
>
> Right, but you forgot Xaw3d. You also need to delete this package and
> all packages which requires it.

Ah. I missed that.

> > The "xpm" thing is only due to the way the package system records
> > dependencies. The included xpm-3.4k is actually identical to the
> > package version. It's even possible to doctor /var/db/pkg so that you
> > don't have to rebuild xpm and the packages that depend on it.
>
> Correct. Thats the same version, but do you think that a lot of people
> want to do that and remove the files from /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.byfile.db?

No I don't. I just thought I should mention it.

> Ok, they don't need do to it, but it would be better to also lose the
> filenames in that db file.

I actually did it "the hard way" myself, because the present mechanism
wasn't in place yet. I did something like, remove all the "@pkdep
xpm-3.4k" lines from all the +CONTENTS files, remove
xpm-3.4k/+REQUIRED_BY, and "pkg_delete -O xpm; pkg_admin rebuild".

--

Frederick