Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 08:56:11
On Wed Jan  3 06:44:00 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > Thats no problem, when you recompile the packages which needs X11.
>
> You don't need to recompile _all_ the packages. I installed an anoncvs
> checkout build of 4.0.1 on top of 1.5 /usr/X11R6 with only minor
> confusion due to the fact that 4.0.x includes "xpm" and "GL" libs
> which are otherwise provided by pkgsrc. So if you pkg_delete -r "xpm"
> and "Mesa" first, everything should work flawlessly.

Right, but you forgot Xaw3d. You also need to delete this package and
all packages which requires it.

> The "xpm" thing is only due to the way the package system records
> dependencies. The included xpm-3.4k is actually identical to the
> package version. It's even possible to doctor /var/db/pkg so that you
> don't have to rebuild xpm and the packages that depend on it.

Correct. Thats the same version, but do you think that a lot of people
want to do that and remove the files from /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.byfile.db?
Ok, they don't need do to it, but it would be better to also lose the
filenames in that db file.

Bernd