Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2001 00:20:53
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> > In message <200101022246.f02Mke502743@arresum.veego.de>Bernd Ernesti writes
> > >Thats no problem, when you recompile the packages which needs X11.
> > pkgsrc doesn't branch, so source dependencies on 4.0.x are a Bad Thing.

Do you mean that the *binary* packages on ftp.netbsd.org should only
be built against the release X binaries? I agree with that.

> Maybe we need something similar to ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM, except for X.
> Example, if a package requires XFree86 4.0 or greater:
>   ONLY_FOR_X=	XFree86-[4-9].*

AFAIK, there's no "uname" for X. IMO, the best thing would be to
follow the example of IS_BUILTIN_XPM, and do some kind of feature
test, as required. Note that anything in bsd.pkg.mk only helps for
building packages from source. It's so when the release switches to
XFree86-4.0.x, pkgsrc will be ready. Many binary packages built
against 4.0.2 would have missing dependencies or be otherwise broken
on stock NetBSD-1.5.

--

Frederick