Subject: Re: Kernel diet
To: None <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/02/2001 14:52:19
> The NetBSD kernel only uses the video card for a text console.
> I'm not sure that our ``vga'' support is really VGA-specific; I
> assumed that it worked with pretty much any old PC video hardware
> to produce a text display.

Well, quoting GENERIC:

wsdisplay*      at vga? console ?
wsdisplay*      at pcdisplay? console ?
vga0            at isa?
vga*            at pci? dev ? function ?
pcdisplay0      at isa?                 # CGA, MDA, EGA, HGA

Which seems to indicate that the ``vga'' support is really VGA-
specific, but that there is also support for the older display
adapters via the pcdisplay(4) driver, though the manual page for
that driver says it doesn't support virtual consoles.

> You might still get rid of this support if you were going to run
> the machine headless (serial console, or just login via a network
> connection).  But if you're going to hook up a keyboard and
> monitor to the thing, I don't think that you want to get rid of
> the VGA stuff.

Unfortunately some old BIOSes have the annoying property that they
refuse to boot without something looking like a keyboard attached;
as witnessed by the infamous "No Keyboard, press F2 to continue"
error message (or variants thereof).  Your mileage may wary.

Regards,

- H=E5vard