Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/02/2001 23:44:00
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> > On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> > > What about pkgsrc dependencies on 3.3.x vs. 4.0.x?
>
> Thats no problem, when you recompile the packages which needs X11.

You don't need to recompile _all_ the packages. I installed an anoncvs
checkout build of 4.0.1 on top of 1.5 /usr/X11R6 with only minor
confusion due to the fact that 4.0.x includes "xpm" and "GL" libs
which are otherwise provided by pkgsrc. So if you pkg_delete -r "xpm"
and "Mesa" first, everything should work flawlessly.

The "xpm" thing is only due to the way the package system records
dependencies. The included xpm-3.4k is actually identical to the
package version. It's even possible to doctor /var/db/pkg so that you
don't have to rebuild xpm and the packages that depend on it.

--

Frederick