Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.2 snapshot available (was Re: Successful NetBSD
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/02/2001 17:39:20
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> I forget: is xsrc branched for releases, or not?
> Does this commit us to shipping 5.1 with xfree 4.x?

xsrc/xc contains XFree86 3.3.6
xsrc/xfree/xc contains XFree86 4.0.2

The top-level Makefile doesn't yet handle building and installing XFree86
4.0.2, the source code is just there (I don't know how it differs from the
official XFree86 distribution).

> What about pkgsrc dependencies on 3.3.x vs. 4.0.x?

I haven't tried out 4.0.2 yet (I have an nVidia video card, Utah-GLX
doesn't work with XFree86 4, and the nVidia XFree86 4 drivers don't work
on NetBSD).

Speaking of pkgsrc... I noticed in xsrc/xfree/xc/config/cf/NetBSD.cf there
was an option for building XFree86 with GNU pth. Will this benefit
anything? (For example, will this help xmms work at all?). I realize that
parts of the "base system" should not depend on pkgsrc, but it would be
fine for personal use.

Jared