Subject: Re: Successful NetBSD install on Dell Laptop?
To: None <wjhud@jps.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/02/2001 23:05:07
"Bill Hudspeth" wrote:

> I really like Partition Magic - I use it to create a similar setup - now I
> want to add NetBSD.
>
> Are you using a graphical desktop with NetBSD? I was hoping to
> use KDE.

Ah, graphics.  Something I forgot.  The current NetBSD X server doesn't
work.  You'll need at least XFree86 4.0.1e[*] or later.  NetBSD is in
the process of moving to XF 4.0.2, but I don't believe there are any
binary shapshots available yet.  Someone else may be better able to
comment on snapshot availability.

I played briefly with a couple of the full desktop thingys (gnome and
something else I can't remember) but I prefer a simple ctwm setup.
What I did try didn't have any problems.

Simon.

[*] 4.0.1 definitely _didn't_ work, and the next version I tried was
around 4.0.1e.  Probably best to go straigh to 4.0.2.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/