Subject: Re: Kernel diet
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/31/2000 11:36:21
<rauch@eecs.ukans.edu> (Richard Rauch) writes:

> The NetBSD kernel only uses the video card for a text console.  I'm not
> sure that our ``vga'' support is really VGA-specific; I assumed that it
> worked with pretty much any old PC video hardware to produce a text
> display.  (Comments from others on this?)

The "vga" support is actually VGA-specific. There is also EGA support
and a more generic "pcdisplay" for CGA and monochrome. Switching to
pcdisplay might save a bit of space. Switching to the low-featured
"pc0" display driver instead of wsdisplay will also save a bunch of
space (but you lose support for things like virtual terminals).

>  * The SYSV features (shared memory, messages, semaphors) can probably
>    be dropped.  I think that it might be used by some X stuff, but even
>    there I assume that it's not essential for normal operations.
>    (Again, comments frmo others?)

Drop 'em.

        - Nathan