Subject: PnP error
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/31/2000 01:49:21
Hello John!

  JPD> Is this the machine that you filed pr port-i386/11234
     > about two and a half months ago?  The machine that
     > also contains a Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound card?

Come to think of it, you're right.  I'd forgotten all about
filing a PR.  I knew I'd tried NetBSD on the machine before
without success, but I've whipped a couple of ISA cards out
of the machine and thought I'd give it another try (do I get
marks for tenacity?)

  JPD> There is a long-standing bug _somewhere_ in the ym at
     > isapnp code that scrambles the attach info for any
     > later isapnp cards (at least it did so for me).  This
     > bug seems to have appeared sometime during September
     > or October of 1999, during a major rewrite of the ym
     > at isapnp code, so I haven't been able to debug it
     > any narrower than that.

Ah, I'd left the sound card in there - that'll be why the
problem remained.

  JPD> Please build a kernel with the appended patch.

I don't think I can do that without at least one working
NetBSD machine.  Hopefully I'll have one working by the end
of January.

  JPD> (If you don't have a way to build a kernel, I could
     > probably build one for you sometime early next week
     > when I get back to work.)

That would be great!  I'll have to re-install NetBSD on that
machine, but I'm more than happy to spend a few hours on
this if it will help other NetBSD users out.

  JPD> If you also want sound to work right, this may also
     > require some additional hacks...

I'm not really fussed about sound support under NetBSD. This
is a machine that's primarily used for something else.  I
think this is an example of problems caused by my not having
a machine dedicated to NetBSD. If it were, I would just whip
out the sound card.

Thanks,
  - Andy.