Subject: Re: silly question again
To: Matthew Mondor <mmondor@linuxguru.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/29/2000 22:07:46
On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 06:15:25AM -0500, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 04:05:27PM +0800, David Xu wrote:
>
> > does NetBSD 1.5 support posix thread (pthread)?
>
> It does, there are two available implementations, which are mit-pthreads
> and unreal-pthreads.
>
> However when I used them I was deceived that their implementation are not
> as good as linux and freeBSD ones, for instance, threads would execute
> sequencially rather than simultaniously unless several CPUs and SMP support
> was used, despite the DETACH flag.

Hun? How can two threads execute simultaneously on a single CPU? (On ANY OS)

> Moreover, if an application uses fork() or make_daemon() to detach and
> become a daemon, pthreads calls would no longer work at all. Also note
> that all NetBSD-native daemons use fork() instead

By make_daemon, you mean daemon(3) ?  It's just a convienience function
that calls fork() anyway, so why does that matter?

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,