Subject: Re: Andy the masochist builds a monster...
To: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/29/2000 10:11:53
Down with floppy disks!  (^&

It's hard to offer much commentary without knowing what you expect the
system to do for you.  But, from my own limited perspective:

Since the default installed kernel is now up to around/over 4MB, you would
have a bit less than 4MB available after booting.  That could be
servicable, but it could also get real tight real fast.  I would suggest
doing one or both of: (a) Arrange to have another machine build a smaller,
custom kernel for you. (b) Put in that extra 8MB for a ``16Mb(ish)''
system.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get PLIP going.  I had the impression that
it wasn't supported at this time (read: If you want it, you might have to
do a little bit of programming).

You should think about how you want to install it, too.  You don't list a
CD-ROM drive.  Will you install the OS onto the hard drive in another
machine, then transplant the hard drive to the ``new'' computer?

Or maybe you'll use some Zip disks to help with installing?  (NetBSD
claims to support the Adaptec ISA 150x SCSI controllers (see
http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/isa.html for more info), so you could
presumably use your SCSI controller, SCSI hard drive, and SCSI Zip.

Good luck with your system, in any case.  (Pun not intended.  Honest.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu