Subject: Andy the masochist builds a monster...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/29/2000 07:45:29
Hello!

I should be picking up an AT mini-tower case today.  I've
finally reached the point where I need to dedicate a machine
at home to BSD, but I can't afford any new toys, so it's
being cobbled together from stuff that's laying around.

--------------------------< spec >--------------------------

Item             Comments
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
25MHz i386 SX    I would prefer a 32-bit machine, but this
                 is all I have to work with at present.

8Mb DRAM         Perhaps 16Mb(ish) if I can cram it in.

240Mb ATA HDD    I might add a second drive too.

No FDD           I might put a diskette drive in if I
                 absolutely need to.

256Kb VGA        I may remove it once BSD is installed.

Serial ports     Probably two genuine external serial ports.
                 Possibly also ISA V32bis modem.

Parallel port    Might use it for PLIP, or disable it.

NIC              Once the machine's up and running, I might
                 see if I can't scrounge a 10 Base-T card.

I happen to have an Adaptec AVA-1502 ISA SCSI host adaptor,
SCSI Zip drive and 170Mb SCSI fixed disk that might go into
the new machine, if they're supported by whatever BSD I am
able to bring up.

Comments, suggestions and hysterical laughter are all quite
welcome.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.