Subject: Re: 1.5 recognized disk, but BIOS doesn't
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/28/2000 08:20:13
On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Mike Cheponis wrote:

> >> However, when I power-cycle the machine, since (for whatever reason) the BIOS
> >> does not recognize this drive, it never boots NetBSD!
> >>
> >> Has anybody seen this before, and have some suggestions?
>
> > Well, worst case you could make a bootable floppy with your kernel on it.
>
> There seems to be a little "catch 22" there - I have to have a system running
> in order to make a bootable floppy.  And sysinst wants to reboot the system
> after it finished installing.  But I can't reboot the system from the 45G HD.

You only need the boot blocks on floppy, not the whole kernel. Any
install floppy will do fine. Hit the space bar while it's counting
down, and type "boot wd0a". That'll get you past your catch-22, so you
can build a kernel that'll fit on a floppy (for an unattended boot).

Alternatively, since you said you managed to boot from another drive,
try making the 45G the second master. NetBSD can use drives that
aren't in the BIOS, unlike linux.
--

Frederick