Subject: Re: 1024 Cylinder boundry?
To: <>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/28/2000 02:32:08
Andrew Steven Ball writes:

> Hello!
>
> I couldn't get NetBSD/i386 1.5 to work on my machine at the
> office (apparently it hates the network card enough not to
> boot). I'll have to try one of the machines at home, perhaps
> I'll have more success there.

Post more details about the card and we might be able to help
get it working.

> I've started accumulating bits for a new BSD or unix machine
> already, but I'll probably have to try it on one of our
> existing machines first, and sadly that means using an ATA
> drive.  Does NetBSD have to boot from a partition that lays
> within the legendarily stupid 1024 cylinder boundry?  Will
> this depend on my firmware?

Depends on your BIOS certainly.  If it has "extended int 13"
support it should be ok. (provided it sees all of the drive in LBA
mode)  NetBSD will happily boot from a partition well past 1024
cylinders and the 8GB limit as well.  My latest AMD system has the
NetBSD partition starting at the 20GB mark on a 40GB disk. :-)

-Andrew