Subject: Re: Thoughts on a possible new BSD system appriciated.
To: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/2000 22:03:28
Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 writes:
> Hello all,
> I'm planning a new NetBSD machine and would like any feedback possible.
> Here are the components currently on my list:
>
> Abit Kt7 mainboard

I would buy the "KT7-RAID", getting the 2 extra UDMA/100 ports for $30-40
is worth it. (IMHO)  I have one, and it is running very nicely.

Nice cpu.  I have a 600 (running @950) and it is fantastic.

> Antec KS 188+pp303x ATX tower case

My brother bought a Antec case, and it seems fine.  Make sure you have
a 300 watt or better supply.

> Quantum Fireball plus LM 20GB HDD

I like Maxtor myself, so I can't really comment on this drive.

> Adaptec 2930 SCSI-2 Adapter
>
> ATI Xpert 2000 32M Rage 128 Pro*
> *Apparently this card does have problems under Xfree 3.3.6 anyone tried
> it under 4.0? For that matter how difficult is the Xfree86 4.0 build
> under netbsd to replace 3.3.6?

What do you want out of this card?  Fast 2D, or fast 2d+3d?  If you aren't
that concerned about 3d (yet) you might look at a Nvidia GeForce2 MX.

-Andrew