Subject: Re: Is ZIP broken in 1.5?
To: Bill Hudspeth <wjhud@jps.net>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/27/2000 15:24:16
mount -t msdos 	/dev/sd0h 	/mnt

^Command	^Device		^Mount Point

the mount command "mounts" the specified device onto a directory in the
filesystem. The "/mnt" is the mountpoint for this command so the
filesystem of the device "/dev/sd0h" is availible through the "/mnt"
directory.

If you imagine the filesystem as being a house and the mountpoint as a
door this could clarify. The mountpoint is empty (before the mount) so
the door just leads outside. When you mount a device this adds a new room
onto the house on the other side of that door. After the mount command
the door now leads out onto a new room, which is the filesystem for the
mounted device. Now you can go into that filesystem by going though the
door (cd /mnt).

I hope that helped clarify things a bit.

Ben Bogart

 On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Bill Hudspeth wrote:

> /mnt does exist. Interestingly, after leaving the NetBSD machine alone
> for a period,
> your question prompted me to try:
>
> ls  mnt
>

> and I immediately received a directory for the zip. I don't understand,
> but will do
> some more exploration.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>

> Andrew Gillham wrote:
>
> > From: "Bill Hudspeth" <wjhud@jps.net>:
> > >

> > > mount -t msdos /dev/sd0h  /mnt
> > >
> > > 1.5 answered:  'mount_msdos: /dev/sd0h on /mnt' no such file or
> > > directory
> >
> > Does /mnt exist?  Does /dev/sd0h exist?  Usually this is from
> > trying to mount onto a nonexistent directory.
> >
> > I am using a ZIP disk with a 1.5.1_ALPHA kernel.  I'm able to
> > use the ZIP as root & swap without any problems. (other than the
> > obvious performance and capacity issues)
> >
> > -Andrew

B. Bogart
Convergent Media Designer
Through scientific absolution we move further and further away from ourselves.