Subject: How did I do this?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/2000 19:17:37
I found out why my build of perl 5.6.0 on my Virtual PC box failed.

Because it's building miniperl dynamically.  I can't see any obvious reason
for this.  My freshly installed (from CD) 1.5 desktop machine builds a
libperl.a; my freshly installed (from the same CD) 1.5 Virtual PC box builds
a libperl.so, and the resulting miniperl doesn't work.

Running makes on a couple of other boxes, every other NetBSD box I have is
building a libperl.a, not a libperl.so, and builds successfully.

Looking around, I notice that the pkgsrc/lang/perl5-base/Makefile is
1.1.something on VPC, and 1.2 on the desktop... but I was pretty sure I
unpacked them both from the CD.  !?!

Anyway, it's clearly pilot error of some sort.  Don't mind me, and don't
worry about weird VPC emulator bugs.

-s