Subject: Re: ATI Xpert 2000 32M Rage 128 Pro Support
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/2000 23:58:16
On 26 Dec 2000 14:00:00 -0600, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
>Has anyone been suing the above mentioned card under Xfree86 3.3.6?

Yep. At least I think it's the same 32M Xpert 2000 card:
vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies product 0x5246 (rev. 0x00)

>I am planning a new system and would like to upgrade to xfree86 4.0 and
>it looks like this card is well supported by 4.0 but I'm not sure about
>3.3.6. The Xpert 98 is on the compatible 3.3.6 list, but I'm not sure of
>the differences.

I installed two patches for 3.3.6 with the Xpert 2000 and have it
down to 'irritating'. I posted a note about it a few months back
and sent in a bug report to the XFree86 folks but never received
a reply nor saw a fix for it.

Currently, scrolling snows the screen and text gets occassionally
misplaced on the display (with the patches, which improved things).
Misplaced text typically has no 'x' offset and sometimes no 'y'
offset.

Not recommended. I still use it because it has a lot more memory
than my older card, making certain things much easier.

(pls let me know if you find out anything new)