Subject: More on bad error recovery on reading defective media
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ernst du Toit <et1@attglobal.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/23/2000 12:21:17
Hi All

Picking up on John's mail on the ncr driver and bad media. Something that has
always bugged me is the stubborness of the floppy driver (fdX) when dealing
with bad media. If you hit a bad spot on the media it just blunders on
generating reams of messages and there seems to be no way of interrupting the
process.

Maybe I'm stupid, but is there a way to make it more skittish give up after say
3 errors? Then if you are desperate to get the data can you then force it to all
at 80 tracks? I just get upset if I hear my floppy grinding away trying to
recover and if you dare eject the media it just gets worse. Reminds me of the
C64 days where the floppy re-seeked by banging the head against the endstop for
track 0, ouch!

Good wishes to all in this season. Great Net community, great product we're all
crafting on. What more can one wish for, apart for more time that is! :-)

--et
E-Mail: Ernst du Toit <et1@attglobal.net>
Date: 23-Dec-00
Time: 11:46:02

This message was sent by XFMail running on NetBSD/i386