Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2 distribution
To: None <mtbell@mb1.micropede.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/2000 00:46:46
> >I would upgrade to 1.5 but this box is in the dark corner of some
> >machine room and if something happened after the upgrade and
> >caused it not to boot, i would have to take a lecture from the
> >sys admin.  Thats why i want to be safe and just build a new
> >kernel with the support. checking out of the cvs repository is no
> >problem just want to know the date of the source that was used to
> >compile the 1.5_ALPHA2 i386 distribution on the ftp server.

It should be noted that the differences between 1.5_ALPHA2 and 1.5
proper are fairly minor, and certainly not of the form which would
cause a random 1.5_ALPHA2 kernel to run but the corresponding 1.5
kernel to fail to boot.

However, there *are* bugs in 1.5_ALPHA2 which were fixed on the path
to the release of 1.5.

I'm quite certain that since you need to reboot the machine anyway
to install your kernel, you really will be better off using the 1.5
release source sets (and apply the patches from the recently issued
security advisories).  You will at least certainly not earn any
sympathy if you subsequently stumble on bugs in 1.5_ALPHA2 that were
fixed on the path to 1.5....

Regards,

- H=E5vard