Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/21/2000 10:43:23
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 06:34:21PM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

 > I'd prefer if the general device framework kept track of if the device is
 > functional.  That way I don't have to have my own flag in the driver and
 > test it on every entry point to the driver.

Okay, so how do you tell "every" entry point about that?  For network,
this is really easy -- you prevent any entry points from existing by
simply not calling if_attach().

...for SCSI controllers, you prevent any entry points from existing by
not attaching the "scsibus" instance.

Etc.

The problem is that there is not a generic enough set of entry points to
flag it the way you describe.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>