Subject: Re: NetBSD raw disk block encrypted FFS filesystem needed!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@crt.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/2000 14:01:25
>>>>> Steven M Bellovin writes:

Steven> Let me point folks at http://www.crypto.com/papers/cfs.ps,

I have tried to use both TCFS and CFS and I can't get any of them to
work reliably (on NetBSD-current).

TCFS: this is only available for NetBSD-1.4.x so you have to port it
to -current. TCFS somtimes corrupt files for me, seemingly at
random. I sent a detailed bug report with a reproducible (for me) test
case to the maintainers but never got a response. :-(

CFS: this is totally unusable in NetBSD-current due to broken
NFS-over-loopback (see PR/8151). If you apply the patches to libc
found in PR/11464 things get getter and CFS starts to be
useful. Almost... Sometimes very strange things happen, like a
directory turning into a file, io-errors when trying to close files
etc. Doing a "cvs update" on top of CFS is an easy way to provoke the
problems.

So, I'm still looking for a working crypto file system for NetBSD. ;-(

Regards,
        -- Urban

P.S. And before someone asks: my hardware is not the problem, I have
never had any problems whatsoever outside of TCFS/CFS, and I beat on
my machine pretty hard all days long... :)