Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/2000 00:25:26
In message <200012200520.AAA26545@dragon.tools.gtei.net>, jchacon@genuity.net w
rites:
>In this specific case it was conflicting with any PCI device that happens
>to get auto-assigned to irq 10 on a machine.

Shouldn't we be able to fix this? Is it always the case that a PCI device
on IRQ 10 makes the wss driver hang the machine?

Anyhow, this message doesn't clear you of the previously mentioned
documentation responsibilities -- could you act on them?:

>>Such a change should come along with an explanation in wss(4) about it,
>>possibly in a BUGS section, as well as a CHANGES entry indicating
>>that this took place.

>GENERIC is what we install for any new build. The last thing you want that
>doing on the first reboot is panic'ing because the sound card has issues...
>Most hardware you live with the risk, but in the case it's a sound card which
>is to me, a secondary concern to making work.
>
>People treat GENERIC as the kitchen sink for all devices and all options
>which is fine. However until it's not the default install kernel though it
>really should boot on 99% of the systems out there.

That's not the criterion we normally apply. If this is going to be
a significant issue, we should create another kernel for these purposes.

But I am skeptical that there is no good solution here. Like some way
to detect the conflict and do something useful, or fail less violently?

--jhawk