Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/2000 00:20:47
In this specific case it was conflicting with any PCI device that happens
to get auto-assigned to irq 10 on a machine.

GENERIC is what we install for any new build. The last thing you want that
doing on the first reboot is panic'ing because the sound card has issues...
Most hardware you live with the risk, but in the case it's a sound card which
is to me, a secondary concern to making work.

People treat GENERIC as the kitchen sink for all devices and all options
which is fine. However until it's not the default install kernel though it
really should boot on 99% of the systems out there.

James