Subject: Re: Working 80x50 patch (was Re: wscons fonts)
To: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/2000 18:10:06
bjy@mogua.org said:
> Well, I managed to make wscons do 80x50 mode. Here is the patch
> against 1.5 source:

Hmm - this simply overloads the builtin font, so you always get
8x8 chars, even in 25-line mode.

> It seems that my ATI 3D Rage doesn't allow charmap select register to
> change in some case. As a result, it could access only a font in slot 0.

That was my impression too, as I wrote in a previous mail.
Would be good to get it confirmed by some documentation...

> A better solution would be to swap out the font currently in use to memory
> and load a new one into slot 0 before the console is switched to a
> different mode.

Yes, this would work. Unfortunately, this is quite expensive and
needs to be done with interrupts blocked. So it should be limited
to cases where there is no other choice - ie strange hardware.

best regards
Matthias