Subject: Re: wscons fonts
To: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/12/2000 11:05:15
Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> > Mark White wrote:
> > > Ok - I played a bit with this, then subsequently tried
> > > moving the font files into the boot filesystem (in
> > > /etc/fonts) - and *still* I can't get it to use 8x8 fonts,
> > > either at boot time or manually loading them afterwards.  It
> > > seems to load the fonts OK; it just seems that wscons isn't
> > > using them (so I just see the top half of 8x16 fonts).
> > >
> > > Is there *anyone* out there who has got 80x50 consoles
> > > working with 1.5?
> >
> > I've experience the same problem with my P-III/ATI 3D Rage machine (1.5
> > and 20001014-current), but with Pentium/ET4000w32 machine (1.5),
> > everything works fine as expected. I'm going to trace wscons code (should
> > need kernel compile with some debug options enabled).
>
> I've found that some newer graphics cards (my ATI 3D Rage, at least) are
> not fully compatible with the VGA in charmap switching. With the same
> machine (P-III), ATI VGA Wonder (28800), Trident VGA 8900C and ET4000W32/p
> worked just fine. Obviously, it's not a problem of wscons nor the kernel
> vga driver. Hmm... -_-aa
>
> Jun-Young

Jun, Mark,
some background info that may be of use:
I was setting up some boxes for work earlier this year
and one had a PIII and an ATI Rage 128. It had all sorts
of hassles with the X graphics writing on bits of the screen
it wasn't supposed to. The solution was to install a special
Xserver that had the bugs fixed. It was a linux box. I don't
think I found a solution for the BSD box that had the same
problems on same hardware and it still does those things
but in it's case it was just used as a server and didn't matter.

cheers,
Paul.

> --
> Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>