Subject: Re: i386 1.5 install to networkless laptop?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/2000 00:04:31
On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> I have an old laptop I'd love to put NetBSD on, and it boots the install
> floppies alright, but it has no PCMCIA or network on it.  (I previously
> used PLIP when it was running l*nux, but that drive has since died.)

> are there install floppies available that have SLIP or PPP?

I thought the standard install disk had slip, but I've never tried to
use it.

> failing that, where can I find the magical makefile magic that
> splits the distfiles apart into floppy-sized chunks?

Something like

  for t in *.tgz; do split -b 240k $t "`basename $t`"; done

should do. The sets were always split to 240k so you could put 5 files
on a 1.2M floppy or 6 on a 1.44M floppy. "sysinst" probably doesn't
care about the sizes however, so it might be easier for you to use "-b
1440k".

Frederick