Subject: Re: rxvt dies
To: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Geoff Wing <gcw@rxvt.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/08/2000 12:25:01
(Sent to both author and list)

Mark White typed:
:I've had rxvt falling over a lot under 1.5 - it dies when
:I try to change font with:
:    rxvt: XError: Request: 56 . 0, Error: 7

This is a BadFont error on XChangeGC() call, though most likely
via a XSetFont() call.

:and I've had it crash while editing or similar a number of
:times, sig 4'ing during a free() operation.

Can you provide more information please?
You're changing fonts via (alt|meta) and keypad (plus|minus)?
If you run from another window (or otherwise capture stderr)
do you get any messages?

What do you get from:
% xrdb -query | egrep -i '^(rxvt|xterm)'

And from:
% sh -c 'for I in -*-jisx0208* 7x14 6x10 6x13 8x13 8x16 10x20 12x24; do xlsfonts -fn $I; done'

:Anyone else had this, or able to guess why?  This is rxvt
:2.7.3; I've tried pkgsrc binary and compiling it myself.

Most rxvt development these days is on NetBSD-current with XFree86 3.3.6
under i386 class processors, with some basic testing on Linux and FreeBSD
on SourceForge (though I haven't been able to access it recently).  Though
I tend to have stock installations from xsrc so maybe the font setup
(e.g. font aliases) is slightly different from yours.  However, I still
couldn't reproduce any errors even after hacking at the fonts.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>