Subject: recommendations for a laptop?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/2000 14:59:23
Hello,

Can anyone using NetBSD/i386 recommand a good laptop/notebook for running
NetBSD? Three key things I am interested in are: (1) internal modem that
works (not a 'WinModem'); (2) an integrated network interface that is
supported by NetBSD; (3) a relatively new Intel/AMD CPU (i.e., Pentium 2
or better...).

I have a Sony VAIO running NetBSD-current which in general works ok, but
has an internal Rockwell/Conexant winmodem that I can't use and to access
a network I have to use a PCMCIA card which prevents me from using the
PCMCIA CD-ROM at the same time.

I took a look at the information at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/,
but saw only information about support for various components, and not
information about recommendations for specific systems.

Thanks,

Brian

| Brian Stark  Siemens Power Transmission & Distribution, Inc.          |
|              Energy Management and Information Systems Division       |
|              7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428 USA |
| email: bstark@siemens-psc.com +1 763 536-4697 fax: +1 763 536-4919    |