Subject: Re: wscons fonts
To: NetBSD port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2000 20:54:15
[ On Thursday, December 7, 2000 at 06:21:12 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: wscons fonts
>
> I had a quick look at this, and it appears that syslogd depends upon
> wscons. Changing wscons to require mountall instead of mountcritremote
> would result in a circular dependency. This could be solved by
> removing syslogd's dependency on wscons, but I'm not 100% certain that
> syslogd will function correctly without wscons configured up. For
> example, someone might by syslogging to one of the alternate wscons
> screens.
>
> Thoughts?

Seems like yet another reason to never log anything to a console device
by default.

(the main reason of course being that if output is stopped on such a
device, eg. by XOFF, logging halts, which eventually halts all manner of
things, but in annoying and difficult to predict and diagnose ways.)

Syslogd itself should work fine so long as /etc/syslogd.conf doesn't
point it at /dev/console or any of the virtual consoles.

Of course there's the other minor matter of whether or not any other
daemon might use LOG_CONS....  (Personally I've disabled that feature in
my systems -- the console is often the least likely place something
important might be seen quickly!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods