Subject: Re: Linking NetBSD .o's against a linux lib?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/06/2000 08:45:19
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Yes and no.  Any code making use of the Linux or FreeBSD libc is not likely
> to work, sans the very basics (malloc(), etc.); the structures for the
> system function calls are very different.  However, code which makes no use
> of non-basic libc functions may well work.  This is actually used to include
> some AVI decompressors for XAnim, which come only as precompiled .o files
> that use nothing more than malloc() and free() outside of their own code.

Didn't work.  I was able to link the applications after adding the correct
-R to ld, but running the resulting binary dropped a core in
strrchr() (I'm assuming that's the linux's strrchr()...).

Oh well.  It'd be nifty if it did work, but just the fact that the
software works is tremdous in and of itself.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"