Subject: Re: Linking NetBSD .o's against a linux lib?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2000 18:24:03
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Yes and no.  Any code making use of the Linux or FreeBSD libc is not likely
> to work, sans the very basics (malloc(), etc.); the structures for the
> system function calls are very different.  However, code which makes no use
> of non-basic libc functions may well work.  This is actually used to include
> some AVI decompressors for XAnim, which come only as precompiled .o files
> that use nothing more than malloc() and free() outside of their own code.

Okay - I guess it's worth a shot, then.  I suppose if it links and doesn't
crash and burn, I'll consider it a success.

Thanks for the explanation.

> This is, of course, assuming you're using NetBSD 1.5 (ELF), since FreeBSD
> 3.x+ and Linux both use ELF format object files.

Correct-o-mundo.

I'll give it a whirl, and report success if anyone's interrested (or
failure, if anyone's interrested, for that matter).  I'm going to try
running TIBCO's Rendezvous product (oops - puting on flame retardant
boxer shorts now), just FYI.

Thanks again,

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"