Subject: Re: Linking NetBSD .o's against a linux lib?
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
From: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/2000 23:08:39
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Jon Lindgren wrote:

> Is it possible to develop and compile NetBSD code, but link it against an
> emul lib (link a linux or FreeBSD library)?  I haven't tried it [yet], but
> am curious to know if it's possible for any of the i86 emul enviroments
> (linux or FreeBSD).

I don't think so... the problem is with syscalls. NetBSD has a certain
syscall interface. When running an emul binary, it pops in a different
one. I seem to remember that the syscall interfaces are orthogonal (you
can't have more than one in operation coz they'd collide) and there's no
reasonable way of dynamically switching emulation modes when moving in and
out of library code...

>  "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
>  "Zing, zing zing zing!"
>  "Keep away from the trout."

"Trout are very valuable, and *immensely* powerful"

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/