Subject: Re: IDE RAID on mb?
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2000 21:38:12
On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:00:34AM -0600, Greg Oster wrote:
> Yup... I think the installboot stuff is missing a few things, but
> other than that it's supposed to work.. (I havn't tried it myself..
> LukeM had been working on this stuff...)

Actually I just installed a machine this way:
partition each disk with a small (I used one cylinder, 500K) partition
(called anything but a) on which you'll install the boot loader
(installboot ...). Then a larger partition (which has to be called a) which
will be part of the RAID-1. The boot loader can load a kernel from such
a partition (using only one disk but it's not a problem at this stage).

> > Ie. can
> > I have two X GB disks on my machine and use mirroring on all partitions
> > (except swap, obviously :-) ?
>
> Umm... If you're going to the trouble of mirroring stuff, you should mirror
> swap as well... mirroring swap works just fine...

You may just want to keep a separate partition for dumps - dumps on RAID
don't work.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>